Town of West Hartford
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Town of West Hartford
Working under the supervision of the Accounting Manager, this highly responsible position administers all Town payrolls, maintains appropriate payroll records, and produces associated reports.
· Administers all Town and Board of Education payrolls.
· Checks attendance and time rosters and computes salary and wage payments for Town employees. Computes statutory workers compensation wages.
· Computes deductions from gross salaries or wages for withholding and social security taxes, pension, dues and other purposes. Balances deduction controls, prepares reports for amounts withheld, and completes journal entry forms.
· Reviews payrolls and Personnel Action Forms for changes and prepares forms to update the payroll master file.
· Assists in comparing and balancing payroll sub-ledger accounts against the general ledger.
· Calculates and/or verifies retroactive payroll adjustments.
· Checks employment forms, from a payroll standpoint, for completeness and accuracy.
· Investigates time sheet problems and takes appropriate action to resolve situation.
· Prepares manual payroll adjustments, including the cancellation and reissue of payroll checks.
· Prepares and files all monthly, quarterly and year-end reports for Federal and State filing.
· Verifies accuracy of payroll data on W2 forms, adjusts for workers compensation reimbursements where applicable, and distributes W2 forms to all employees.
· Distributes expenditures to various accounts for budgetary control purposes.
· Maintains records of earnings for Town and Board of Education employees for all years.
· Types, files and releases employee wage information in accordance with established policy.
· Responds to employee inquiries regarding payroll deductions and wage computations.
· Assists in the training of new payroll assistants; checks and verifies the work of lower-level employees for completeness and accuracy.
· Performs related duties as required.
Skill / Requirements
A.S. Degree in accounting, business administration or related field plus three (3) years of payroll experience; or high school graduate plus minimum of five (5) years of related payroll experience; or a combination of education and/or experience deemed equivalent by the Executive Director of Human Resources. Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation required or must be obtained within the probationary period. B.A. degree and APA membership preferred.
Applications may be accessed on the Jobs page of the Town of West Hartford website at www.westhartfordct.gov. Applications will only be accepted electronically and must be completed and submitted no later than the extended date of Monday, April 22, 2019, unless the date is further extended by the Executive Director of Human Resources.